[Eric] Support network for eric, conda, and internet connection

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Sep 15 10:30:19 BST 2018

Am Samstag, 15. September 2018, 06:22:12 CEST schrieb Alex Gerhardt-Bourke:
> Hi,
> I have a few questions regarding eric:
>
>   1.  Is there any place to discuss working with eric rather than this
> mailing list? It seems the IRC channel on freenode is dead. Is there a
> discord server or subreddit or any other place for eric support/discussion?

No, this mailing list is the right place.

> 2.  Can eric be used properly with conda virtual environments? I am running
> python through a conda installation, and have pyqt and qscintilla installed
> under the conda base environment. With this I can install and run eric.
> However, when I create a new conda virtual environment, and add this
> environment to the eric virtual environments list, I cannot import other
> packages I have installed under the new virtual environment. Under the new
> virtual environment, when selected through the debugger settings (not sure
> why it has to be changed here and not just in the virtualenv manager), the
> python interpreter tries but fails to import installed packages. This is
> different to when it cannot find the package at all.

I have never tested eric with conda virtual environments. However, it works
fine with virtual environments created with virtualenv or venv and it offers a
virtual env creation tool for these two variants. What is the difference
between conda venv and the standard Python venv?

> 3.  Do I need to do
> configure eric so that eric can connect to the internet? For whatever
> reason, I cannot connect to IRC channels through the IRC client (the
> connect button is greyed out), nor can I see the list of plugins in the
> plugin repository. In fact, the plugin repository tells me “Network status:
> offline”.

This indication comes from the operating system through Qt. However, you can
disable checking the online status on the Network configuration page.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de