[QScintilla] Fwd: designer-qt5: symbol lookup error

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Sat Aug 9 16:23:40 BST 2014

On 09/08/14 14:53, Marty Plummer wrote:
> Ah, I think you misunderstand the nature of the AUR. The AUR is basically
> just a 'recipe book', containing the steps required to compile any given
> package. The only real difference between using an AUR PKGBUILD (recipe) is
> that the results get bundled into an arch linux package, manipulatable by
> our package manager, so one does not have random './configure && make &&
> make installed' files not associated with any package.
>

> On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 09/08/2014 1:41 am, Marty Plummer wrote:
>>
>>> Arch linux user here, using an AUR package to install qscintilla for qt5;
>>> compiles fine, installs fine, only problem is upon launching designer-qt5
>>> (either directly or via qtcreator) it crashes. After trying a couple of
>>> times, I ran the program in terminal to get some info, got the following:
>>> designer-qt5: symbol lookup error:
>>> /usr/lib/qt/plugins/designer/libqscintillaplugin.so: undefined symbol:
>>> _ZN13QsciScintillaC1EP7QWidget
>>>
>>> googling around for it gave no solution :/
>>>
>>> the above symbol demangled is QsciScintilla::QsciScintilla(QWidget*), I
>>> there is a simplish solution :)
>>>

>> Please try building from the source package, otherwise report it as a bug
>> to Arch.

Phil is right - you should firstly report this to the maintainer of the
qscintilla-qt5 package on the AUR. This is much more likely to be an
Arch-specific issue, so you should make sure that you rule that
possibility out first before thinking about raising it here. One obvious
thing to do would be to have a look on the Arch Bug Tracker to see if
there are any similar issues affecting the official qscintilla packages,
such as this one:

     https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/39672

Of course, this relates to qt4 rather than qt5, but it may give you some
hints about how to resolve your own issue.

PS:

Can you please also avoid top-posting on this list? Thanks

--
Regards
Baz Walter