[PyQt] Feedback Required: Windows 32-bit Wheels

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Thu Aug 16 15:27:29 BST 2018

On 16 Aug 2018, at 3:13 pm, Kyle Altendorf <sda at fstab.net> wrote:

> On August 16, 2018 7:41:17 AM EDT, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
>> Given that 32-bit Windows seems to be becoming a second class citizen
>> as far as Qt is concerned (ie. there is no 32-bit Web Engine any more),
>> I am considering dropping the 32-bit Windows wheels. 32-bit Windows
>> would still be supported when building from source.
>
> I use 32-bit windows wheels because of automated tests I have for some C embedded device.  I use pieces from my GUI app and also javabridge which has to be 32-bit to agree with the TI Code Composer Studio which is only available as 32-bit on Windows presently (and only 64 on Linux...  *sigh*).
>
> How much effort is it to maintain the 32 bit wheel build?  Any chance of getting a copy of the reference wheel build script you use?  It seems like we could setup automated builds (including snapshots) and probably get some community support to keep them going.

The effort is maintaining 4 development environments rather than 3 which is made worse by Windows being such a pain.

The "wheel build script" is an integral part of an internal build and CI system. I am (slowly) moving towards being able to have source packages on PyPI - but that would require you to have Qt already installed.