[PyQt] Feedback Required: Windows 32-bit Wheels

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Mon Aug 20 17:23:04 BST 2018

On 2018-08-16 10:27, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2018, at 3:13 pm, Kyle Altendorf <sda at fstab.net> wrote:
>>

>> On August 16, 2018 7:41:17 AM EDT, Phil Thompson
>> <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
>>> Given that 32-bit Windows seems to be becoming a second class citizen
>>> as far as Qt is concerned (ie. there is no 32-bit Web Engine any
>>> more),
>>> I am considering dropping the 32-bit Windows wheels. 32-bit Windows
>>> would still be supported when building from source.
>>
>> I use 32-bit windows wheels because of automated tests I have for some
>> C embedded device.  I use pieces from my GUI app and also javabridge
>> which has to be 32-bit to agree with the TI Code Composer Studio which
>> is only available as 32-bit on Windows presently (and only 64 on
>> Linux...  *sigh*).
>>
>> How much effort is it to maintain the 32 bit wheel build?  Any chance
>> of getting a copy of the reference wheel build script you use?  It
>> seems like we could setup automated builds (including snapshots) and
>> probably get some community support to keep them going.
>
> The effort is maintaining 4 development environments rather than 3
> which is made worse by Windows being such a pain.
>
> The "wheel build script" is an integral part of an internal build and
> CI system. I am (slowly) moving towards being able to have source
> packages on PyPI - but that would require you to have Qt already
> installed.

I presume that the source package would make it fairly easy to build our
own wheels.  Even if it didn't provide support for a given platform
somehow, at least the 'automated' build would be available publicly for
modification and patches could be submitted (and maybe accepted).  That
would be a great step forward in my opinion.  The lack of any reference
builds has certainly been frustrating for me (or I'm just silly and
missed it).

As for the current "wheel build script" it sounds like you are saying it
is, and will remain, private?

Cheers,
-kyle

P.S. a build of the Designer plugin meant for use with whatever wheels
are published would certainly be nice as well...