[PyQt] Installing PyQT on a Mac 10.5.8 PPC

bestenborstel bestenborstel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 19:51:45 BST 2010

Dear List,

I apologise if this question has been already asked, however I could
not google a solution.

I would like to install Spyder on my Mac PPC 10.5.8.

I installed today first Qt Carbon 4.6.3 via the installer. Worked fine.
I installed Sip 4.10.5 according to the manual. Worked fine.
I tried to install PyQt 4.7.4 Mac version.
Python configure.py does not work.
Output:

make -f qtdirs.mk
g++ -c -pipe -g -gdwarf-2 -arch i386 -Wall -W -DQT_CORE_LIB -
DQT_SHARED -I/usr/local/Qt4.6/mkspecs/macx-g++ -I. -I/Library/
Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I/usr/include/QtCore -
I/usr/include -I. -F/Library/Frameworks -o qtdirs.o qtdirs.cpp
g++ -headerpad_max_install_names -arch i386 -o qtdirs.app/Contents/
MacOS/qtdirs qtdirs.o   -F/Library/Frameworks -L/Library/Frameworks -
framework QtCore
ld: can't write output file: qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs] Error 1
qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs
/bin/sh: qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs: Bad CPU type in executable
Error: qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs failed to create qtdirs.out.
Make sure
your Qt v4 installation is correct.

I am on a PPC arch. Why does this g++ suggest i386 always for the make
file qtdirs.mk?

Second try: In installed the Cocoa version of Qt 4.6.3, but I received
than for installing PyQt via python configure.py

Make sure you have a working Qt v4 qmake on your PATH or use the -q
argument to explicitly specify a working Qt v4 qmake.

I am pretty sure I put Qt into the PATH.
However, qmake and qmake-4.6 did not work at all. Typing qmake into
the terminal gave: Bad CPU type in executable
So did qmake-4.6.

I am not sure how to install PyQt on my Mac and I am now at a point
where I would need help, please.
Do you know any advise, please?

Thank you very much.
Kind regards,