[PyQt] Installing PyQT on a Mac 10.5.8 PPC

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Aug 18 20:15:51 BST 2010

On Aug 18, 2010, at 1:51 PM, bestenborstel wrote:

> make -f qtdirs.mk
> g++ -c -pipe -g -gdwarf-2 -arch i386 -Wall -W -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/local/Qt4.6/mkspecs/macx-g++ -I. -I/Library/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I/usr/include/QtCore -I/usr/include -I. -F/Library/Frameworks -o qtdirs.o qtdirs.cpp
> g++ -headerpad_max_install_names -arch i386 -o qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs qtdirs.o   -F/Library/Frameworks -L/Library/Frameworks -framework QtCore
> ld: can't write output file: qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs] Error 1
> qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs
> /bin/sh: qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs: Bad CPU type in executable
> Error: qtdirs.app/Contents/MacOS/qtdirs failed to create qtdirs.out. Make sure
> your Qt v4 installation is correct.
>
> I am on a PPC arch. Why does this g++ suggest i386 always for the make file qtdirs.mk?

I don't know about the PyQt choice of OS X defaults, but to get PPC, configure SIP with:

python configure.py -n -d /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages -b /usr/local/bin -e /usr/local/include -v /usr/local/share/sip --arch=ppc -s MacOSX10.5.sdk

(note: other options shown are also recommended, see recent email on the list)

Pyqt will follow what is configured for sip, but also add extra recommended config options:

python configure.py -d /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages -b /usr/local/bin

> Second try: In installed the Cocoa version of Qt 4.6.3, but I received than for installing PyQt via python configure.py
>
> Make sure you have a working Qt v4 qmake on your PATH or use the -q argument to explicitly specify a working Qt v4 qmake.
>
> I am pretty sure I put Qt into the PATH.
> However, qmake and qmake-4.6 did not work at all. Typing qmake into the terminal gave: Bad CPU type in executable
> So did qmake-4.6.
>
> I am not sure how to install PyQt on my Mac and I am now at a point where I would need help, please.
> Do you know any advise, please?

For whatever reason Nokia decided to only include the intel architectures in their Qt Cocoa installer.  Kinda lame since OS X 10.5 and G5 Macs are still supported by Apple.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

The equator is so long, it could encircle the earth completely once.