[PyKDE] Compiling eric3 for use with pyqt4 development

Dave Williams happy at opensourcesolutions.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 19:27:20 GMT 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:03:20 +0000
Dave Williams <happy at opensourcesolutions.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:11:05 +0100
> Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> > Using
> >
> > sip-snapshot-20060126
> > PyQt-x11-gpl-snapshot-20060124
> > PyQt4-gpl-snapshot-20060128
> > eric3-snapshot-20060123
> >
> > worked fine for me. I can send you the files for sip/PyQt/PyQt4 as Phil
> > only makes the latest versions available.
>
> Yes so I have noticed. Sending copies would be easiest - Email them to me off list if you wish.
>
> Checking my versions they are all a day or two out from yours. I'm surprised it makes that much difference but it will be good to get something working anyway. I want to get on writing my app not installing the tools!
>
> The only thing you havent mentioned is qt itself. I have qt-x11-free-3.3.5 (and qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.1-snapshot-20060210) installed. I am also running kde-3.5.1.
>
> Other than following the order in Detlev's README are there any other things to watch out for that I may have missed? Did note there was a -thread option required at one point (cant recall which component).
>
> Thanks
> Dave

I have now successfully installed eric3 following Andreas' guidance.

However I did have a couple of problems to do with qmake and qconfig when installing PyQt (3 and 4). Specifically these were

a) The need to tweak configure.py to look at QTDIR first because of a shell script of qmake in /usr/bin causing the incorrect path to be deduced.
The fix was to comment out a few lines near start (around line 49):

	#for d in path.split(os.pathsep):
	#    if os.access(os.path.join(d, "qmake"), os.X_OK):
	#        qt_dir = os.path.dirname(d)
	#        break
	#else:
Im not sure if this is a Mandriva rpm issue but it comes from qt3-devel rpm.

b) The need to explicitly use the -g option because /usr/include/qt3/qconfig.h contains
	#define _MULTIARCH_HEADER qconfig.h
	#include <multiarch-dispatch.h>
which causes the parsing of the qt version to fail.

Some notes I made at the time (in case anybody else finds it useful) were as follows:

Notes for installation of PyQt4 aware version of eric3 on Mandriva

This is based on the eric3 README instructions.

VERSIONS
--------
eric-snapshot-20060123
qscintilla-1.65-gpl-snapshot-20051212
sip-snapshot-20060128
PyQt-x11-gpl-snapshot-20060126
qt3 3.3.5
qt4 4.1.0
kde 3.5.1
python 2.4.2

INSTALLATION
------------

1a. Install Qt3

    Installed from RPM:
	qt3-common-3.3.5-12mdk
	libqt3-3.3.5-12mdk
	libqt3-devel-3.3.5-12mdk
	libqt3support4-4.1.0-3mdk

	If installing from source ensure the -thread option is used.

1b. Install Qt4

    Installed from RPM:
	libqt4-devel-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-accessibility-plugins-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-assistant-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-common-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-database-plugin-odbc-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-database-plugin-pgsql-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-database-plugin-sqlite-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-designer-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-doc-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-examples-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-linguist-4.1.0-3mdk
	qt4-tutorial-4.1.0-3mdk

2. Build and install QScintilla
	export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
	from qt subdir execute qmake qscintilla.pro
	Edit Makefile CXXFLAGS to include -fno-exceptions
	make
	make install

3. Build and install sip
	python configure.py
	make
	make install

4a. Build and install PyQt3 (watch for a message telling, that it is including
    the qtext module)
	Need to tweak configure.py to look at QTDIR first because of qmake in /usr/bin
	Commented out lines near start (around line 49):

	#for d in path.split(os.pathsep):
	#    if os.access(os.path.join(d, "qmake"), os.X_OK):
	#        qt_dir = os.path.dirname(d)
	#        break
	#else:
	python configure.py -g/usr/lib/qt3/include/multiarch-i386-linux -c -j 4
	make
	make install

	-g option required because /usr/include/qt3/qconfig.h contains
	#define _MULTIARCH_HEADER qconfig.h
	#include <multiarch-dispatch.h>
	which causes the parsing of the qt version to fail.

4b. Build and install PyQt4
	as for pyqt3 but dont need QTDIR set to qt3 any more.

5. Install eric3
	python install.py

6. Enjoy eric3!

Any comments or corrections welcome!