[PyKDE] Bindings and the KDE project

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 01:08:01 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 22:55, Simon Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:21 pm, Russell Valentine wrote:
> > In my eyes I think it would be awsome to have PyQt/PyKDE part of KDE.
> > I've upgraded to KDE 3.2 and all my PyKDE apps don't work.
>
> That is what I'm getting at. It is not acceptable that a new stable version
> of KDE ships and all of your python apps break. I've seen too many times
> people dumping python and porting to C++ mainly because of availability and
> the fact that PyQt/PyKDE doesn't come installed with peoples KDE/distro.
> This problem is putting a limit on adoption of Python with KDE. That's a
> real pity.
>
> > Probably Jim
> > Bublitz could use some help. I'm still sort of new to Python and I
> > havn't looked into creating bindings with SIP so I would have a lot of
> > learning to do.
>
> yes, Jim and Phil both do a great job, but they only have so much
> time/energy. With this thread I want to open up the discussion about how we
> can fix this problem.
>
> Now, KDE 3 is meant to be compatible through all of the 3.x releases. So I
> imagine that it is possible for someone other than Phil and Jim to fix the
> bindings when a new 3.x version of KDE comes out, and make sure that stable
> releases of KDE also have a working PyQt/PyKDE available. It would be nice
> to have matching releases of PyQt/PyKDE that are syncronised with KDE so
> that the distros can package and release at the same time as KDE. Because
> right now it is not very clear what matches what.

A lot of this is my fault - but I think it's now in the past. I'm committed to
maintaining (and documenting) the SIP 4 interface - I don't expect
significant changes until Qt 4 comes along. Now that I've stopped presenting
Jim with a moving target, once he's caught up things should be fairly stable
- bug fix mode only. It also means that the job of managing a more direct
relationship with the KDE project should be simpler than it might appear at
the moment.