[PyKDE] Where & What ?

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue Oct 22 13:30:00 BST 2002

Hi Marc,

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 10:54, Marc Schmitt wrote:
> I'd like to start a discussion about those points :
>
> Where to place sip, PyQt and PyKDE related material. This means sources,
> patches, packages, docs, examples, ... Currently sources are on riverbank,
> some packages on sf, some on lisa-gmbh.de. Patches seem to be nowhere,
> examples within the sources.
> Wouldn't it be best to unify (or maximal dualify) the places where we
> collect the stuff ?

As far as official releases are concerned, this should be decided by Phil
and Jim. I wouldn't mind to be linked on their sites, and willing
to take over some organizational tasks on Sourceforge/Freshmeat.

In my opinion, we should crosslink the resources, and try to get more
public attention with freshmeat entries. I thought about publishing the
rpm availability on Freshmeat, but hesitated to not interfere on such
actions with our masters. Phil, Jim, opinions?

> What about packaging policy ? To me this means, how to split packages. For
> SuSE 8.0 I made -devel and -doc packages, for 8.1 I merged everything
> together reflect the source structure : There are only three packages, sip,
> PyQt and PyKDE left. Each contains all of the sources stuff, like libs,
> docs, examples and sips. IMHO we should provide three super-spec, that
> everyone can use for every distribution.

You convinced me, that "the simpler, the better" approach is far superior,
and recreated the rpms to conform with it. I will try to convince Adrian
Schroeter, the SuSE package maintainer, to create similar package layouts.

> -Marc

Hans-Peter