[PyKDE] Quickexec and Packaging question

Michael Lauer mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Aug 14 11:25:01 BST 2002

Salut David,

My research group and I are also working on PyQt applications, maybe we
can share our findings here. There don't seem to be many people working
on this.

> Also, does anyone have any experiment with packaging an PyQt app (I mean in
> the "final end user" goal : no python installed on the PDA, and so on...)

I rely on the standard ipk system.

>First, I am still obliged to comment out a few lines in the sip files
>in order to compile PyQt... (gcc complains about accessing vars which
>are declared private in the master C++ class and thus not availbale in
>any derived class---which is normal. So I still do not understand how
>PyQt can be compiled out of the box. NB: I am using Qtopia as available
>to Trolltech's site, GPL version).

No problems here to compile PyQt 3.2.4 - which Python and which Qt are
you using? Did you manage to compile PyQt 3.3.2 with Qt/Embedded ???

>Then I have spent almost a day to realize that I had many problems with
>the Qtopia integration of my app which where du to the fact that the
>/tmp/qcop-msg file was not opened, read end destroyed by my app...
>Which was due to the fact that, in the QApplication code (file
>qapplication.cpp), the name of the program (argv[0]) is filtered (to
>remove full path and so) AFTER the file /tmp/qcop-msg/appname if
>opened... And Python gives the fullpath as argv[0]...
>So I could solve this easily just by filtering the args given to my
QPEApplication constructor...
>It's trivial but one can spen time on it (as I did). Maybe a little TIP
>file (or FAQ entry) on the PyQt site would be nice ?

Nice work, David! I spent a whole lot more than one day to find it...
and I have yet to discover, why -- instead of my application icon -- the
"Unknown-Document-14" icon is displayed... any idea?

Yours,

--
:M:
Dipl.-Inf. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
  Raum 10b - ++49 69 798 28358       Fachbereich Informatik und Biologie