[Eric] New to the list and some questions

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 16:07:17 GMT 2020

Hi Alexandro,

Welcome to the list!

On Wed, 2020-03-04 at 09:13 -0500, JZA wrote:
> I am new to the list, long time python dev, and I finally made the
> move to check the community behind this great IDE. I also have been
> exploring it's various tools, some are great but others I am a bit of
> a loss. Wonder if people here can guide me. I compiled a list of
> questions feel free to answer anyone:
> Before this, I am on Arch Linux with Eric 20.2
> - I setup git but get issues regarding email, it seems it takes my
> user and laptop host instead of setting up an email.

In my case I have a git config file which can be edited via Settings ->
Preferences -> Version Control System -> Git -> Edit configuration file
which contains:

[user]
	email = tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
	name = Tony Arnold
[push]
	default = simple

The file is actually ~/.gitconfig but I can't remember how this got set
up in the first place!

> - What is the Symbol pane for? Is it somekind of special character
> mapping?

I think it just gives you the hex coding and HTML for given character
sets. I don't think I have ever used this feature!

> - How can I activate the code documentation viewer? Is there a plugin
> I need to activate?

I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I think the relevant plugins for
this are now built in to eric. I also think you will need the various
documentation plugins if you want to see PyQt docs, for example. Also
set the code info provider drop down at the top of the viewer pane. I
have mine set to Rope.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039