[Eric] New to the list and some questions

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Wed Mar 4 18:29:08 GMT 2020

Am Mittwoch, 4. März 2020, 17:07:17 CET schrieb Tony Arnold:
> Hi Alexandro,
>
> Welcome to the list!
>
> On Wed, 2020-03-04 at 09:13 -0500, JZA wrote:
> > I am new to the list, long time python dev, and I finally made the
> > move to check the community behind this great IDE. I also have been
> > exploring it's various tools, some are great but others I am a bit of
> > a loss. Wonder if people here can guide me. I compiled a list of
> > questions feel free to answer anyone:
> > Before this, I am on Arch Linux with Eric 20.2
> > - I setup git but get issues regarding email, it seems it takes my
> > user and laptop host instead of setting up an email.
>
> In my case I have a git config file which can be edited via Settings ->
> Preferences -> Version Control System -> Git -> Edit configuration file
> which contains:
>
> [user]
> 	email = tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
> 	name = Tony Arnold
> [push]
> 	default = simple
>
> The file is actually ~/.gitconfig but I can't remember how this got set
> up in the first place!

eric provides just an interface to the various git commands and allows to edit
the git configuration file. In the background it invokes the git executable. So
if git is not feeling ok with its configuration you have to correct it. If the
~/.gitconfig file does not exist, eric will show a little dialog asking for your
name and email to create this file.

> > - What is the Symbol pane for? Is it somekind of special character
> > mapping?
>
> I think it just gives you the hex coding and HTML for given character
> sets. I don't think I have ever used this feature!

It offers the ability to insert special characters. If it is not needed it may
be deactivated via the configuration dialog, Interface/Interface page.

> > - How can I activate the code documentation viewer? Is there a plugin
> > I need to activate?
>
> I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I think the relevant plugins for
> this are now built in to eric. I also think you will need the various
> documentation plugins if you want to see PyQt docs, for example. Also
> set the code info provider drop down at the top of the viewer pane. I
> have mine set to Rope.

In order to use the code documentation viewer, you must install the rope and/
or jedi plugin (see Plugin Repository dialog). Thereafter you may select which
one to  use. They are used to extract documentation for the current cursor
position (e.g. a function) from its source code (i.e. Python file). This is not
to be confused with the built-in web browser showing some official documentation
(also available as plugins).

detlev at die-offenbachs.de