Eric Crash on Text Entry - Repeatable

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Mon Aug 3 07:41:23 BST 2020

Hi Mick,

according to the data you sent it seems to be related to the QtAccessability stuff. I am not doing anything related to that in eric. Did you try to create a Python virtual environment and install eric in there?

python3 -m venv ~/eric_env
~/eric_env/bin/python3 -m pip install eric-ide

That would grab PyQt5 and related packages from PyPI and circumvent possible issues with the distribution packages.

> [...]
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.  Yes the Mint 20 version is old but I had installed following the Eric script anyway and was on 20.7.
>
> I have just tried the script again, still on 20.7 so I removed it and ran the script again and I now have 20.8.  I repeated the test and it still crashes in the same way.  I ran from a terminal, this is the terminal output -
>
> mick at Mint20Desk ~/eric_env/bin $ ./eric6
> Warning: translation file 'qscintilla_en_GB'could not be loaded.
> Using default.
> BackgroundService listening on: 45131
> qt.accessibility.atspi: Sending TextCaretMoved from object that does not implement text interface:  QAccessibleInterface(0x33bfbb0 name="" role=Client obj=QLineEdit(0x33d0260)"focusable|invisible")
> qt.accessibility.atspi: Sending TextCaretMoved from object that does not implement text interface:  QAccessibleInterface(0x33bfbb0 name="" role=Client obj=QLineEdit(0x33d0260)"focusable|invisible")
> free(): invalid pointer
> Aborted (core dumped)
> mick at Mint20Desk ~/eric_env/bin $
>

> Mick
>
> On 02/08/2020 10:40, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as far as I know, Mint 20 contains an eric version that is around 6 months old. The recommended first step would be to upgrade to the latest release (that is 20.8 released yesterday). Step 2 would be to check, if the installed PyQt5 and QScintilla packages are compatible. Step 3 would be to create a virtual Python environment and installe eric in there with PyQt5 and QScintilla packages from PyPI. The eric installation script will do this.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Detlev
>>
>> Am 01.08.20 um 23:08 schrieb Mick Sulley:
>>> I tried to report this via Help > Report Bug,  but failed to get it to authorise.
>>>

>>> Running on Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon.
>>> I open Eric6, open an existing program, open a new program, then copy the first line from the existing program into the new program.  That line is
>>> #!/usr/bin/python3
>>> I then add a blank line and on the next line type
>>> # sensor_rea
>>> after I have types the 'a' and before I can type the rest of the word the program crashes.  I have done it several times and it is repeatable.
>>> I ran it from a terminal and this is the terminal output -
>>> mick at Mint20Desk ~/eric_env/bin $ ./eric6
>>> Warning: translation file 'qscintilla_en_GB'could not be loaded.
>>> Using default.
>>> BackgroundService listening on: 39589
>>> qt.accessibility.atspi: Sending TextCaretMoved from object that does not implement text interface: QAccessibleInterface(0x1e887b0 name="" role=Client obj=QLineEdit(0x1eaa620)"focusable|invisible")
>>> qt.accessibility.atspi: Sending TextCaretMoved from object that does not implement text interface: QAccessibleInterface(0x1e887b0 name="" role=Client obj=QLineEdit(0x1eaa620)"focusable|invisible")
>>> free(): invalid pointer
>>> Aborted (core dumped)
>>> mick at Mint20Desk ~/eric_env/bin $
>>>
>>> Please let me know if you need any further info, happy to help if I can.
>>> Mick

Detlev Offenbach
detlev at die-offenbachs.de