[Eric] Switching from Mercurial to Git

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Thu Aug 29 17:46:48 BST 2019

Am Mittwoch, 28. August 2019, 21:55:32 CEST schrieb Tony Arnold:
> I've been using Mercurial as the VCS for my Python projects and Bitbucket
> for the remote repository. As you may know Bitbucket are dropping Mercurial
> in favour of Git on 1st June 2020.

> So my question is is there a straight forward way to change the VCS used by
> an Eric project from Mercurial to Git? I don't see a menu option to do
> this, but could I, say, remove the VCS section in the .e4p file and then
> update the project properties to use Git as its VCS?

If you'd do it that way you would loose all your VCS history. A quick Googling showed this
recipe "https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-and-Other-Systems-Migrating-to-Git"[1]. There
is no built in method. Once that is done you may modify the project file. Unless you have
configured some VCS options just change "<VcsType>Mercurial</VcsType>" to read
"<VcsType>Git</VcsType>".

Another alternative would be to setup your own Mercurial server. That way you know
exactly whom to blame.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de

--------
[1] https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-and-Other-Systems-Migrating-to-Git