[Eric] Switching from Mercurial to Git

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Aug 29 20:51:06 BST 2019

Hi Detlev,

On Thu, 2019-08-29 at 18:46 +0200, Detlev Offenbach wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 28. August 2019, 21:55:32 CEST schrieb Tony Arnold:
> > I've been using Mercurial as the VCS for my Python projects and
> Bitbucket
> > for the remote repository. As you may know Bitbucket are dropping
> Mercurial
> > in favour of Git on 1st June 2020.
>
> > So my question is is there a straight forward way to change the VCS
> used by
> > an Eric project from Mercurial to Git? I don't see a menu option to
> do
> > this, but could I, say, remove the VCS section in the .e4p file and
> then
> > update the project properties to use Git as its VCS?
>
> If you'd do it that way you would loose all your VCS history. A quick
> Googling showed this recipe "
> https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-and-Other-Systems-Migrating-to-Git
> ". There is no built in method. Once that is done you may modify the
> project file. Unless you have configured some VCS options just change
> "<VcsType>Mercurial</VcsType>" to read "<VcsType>Git</VcsType>".

It would be nice to keep the history but I'm not too concerned if I
lose it. It's only my own software that's involved. There are no other
authors, and it's not shared with anyone.

I've tried hg-fast-export but it fails on me. Some of my hg repos are
messed up with hanging branches etc, which doesn't help. The link you
gave does give more information than I had before so I'll take another
look.

> Another alternative would be to setup your own Mercurial server. That
> way you know exactly whom to blame.

Indeed so! I see that as a very last resort though.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039