[Eric] Autocompletion behaviour

Alex Gerhardt-Bourke agerhbour at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 02:34:55 GMT 2018

Hi All,

Christos:
The additional directories conda adds to the PATH variable can be included in eric6 on execution under the “environment” input under the project debugger properties. Doing this allows you to use an eric6 conda environment for running eric, and project environments for your individual projects – even if they have external DLLs.

In terms of Autocompletion, calltips, and code documentation – it does seem that setting the debugger in preferences rather than in your project will let these plugins “see” your conda environment modules – although Detlev has just recently updated rope to respect the project debugger. As Detlev outlined in response to my last email, many of the issues I’m facing are not due to my setup but are actually either by design or by lack of functionality from the autocompletion tools themselves. I have been researching this further and examining functionality for PyQt with other tools, particularly VSCode, and it seems most of the functionality is similar if not the same to that of eric. It seems the issue, as Detlev pointed out, is the lack of support autocompletion tools have for modules with underlying C libraries. VSCode allegedly has support for typeshed, another tool I am not particularly familiar with, but I have been playing with this trying to get the desired outcome for autocompletion of PyQt variables under VSCode; unfortunately I have not had any luck here either.

Scouring the internet for work done in this area brings up other people facing related or similar problems, see the following:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43093400/code-completion-is-not-working-for-opencv-and-python
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47900257/autocomplete-for-automation-objects-in-vs-code-and-python
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50065211/pycharm-and-pyqt5-custom-stubs
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50298745/vscode-intellisense-too-slow-working-with-pyqt4