[Eric] eric5-5.4.3.tar.gz archive broken

Jurko Gospodnetić jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr
Thu May 8 10:04:36 BST 2014

   Hi.

On 7.5.2014. 20:20, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> on Windows only the zip file should be used because there are issues in
> some packers with long paths in tar files.

   Yup, I just tested this using Python 3.4 & and its tarfile module,
and it does not report the extra PaxHeaders.### folders.

   Could you add an explicit note regarding this next to your download
links (possibly at
'http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/eric-download.html')?

   I use .tar.gz files by default usually (as they are smaller than
their .zip counterparts), and the problem takes a while to
understand/debug having to work through some mysterious Python error
traceback. All that really gave me a feeling of 'baaah... what is this
sh*t... why am I wasting my time with this... and I just want to install
an editor...'. :-(

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić

P.S.