[Eric] Simplify python 2/3 handling for Eric5

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Sat Apr 21 18:50:52 BST 2012

On 12-04-20 01:21 PM, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
>   * making switch between python 2 and 3 easy in Eric5 would make Eric4
> really obsolete and
>     would eliminate the burden of maintaining it :)
> It is easy already. However, as long as Python3 is not yet as widely used as
> Python2 I might have the need to maintain both variants :( That said, most of
> the new development is done on eric5 with just a few things backported to
> eric4.
>
> What does the eric community suggest?
AFAIK Eric5 isn't even packaged on Ubuntu (not even on 12.04)... until
it's there, Eric4 is "where its at".  Given that I use Python 3 not at
all (not even on new projects started in the last month), I can't say
the Python-3-ness really makes me want to switch to it...  That said, if
*only* Eric5 was available (pre-packaged), I would *likely* just switch
to that, as in point of fact I seldom actually interact with Eric's
source code (other than to generate project files programmatically).  It
might take me an hour to port that script over, at which point I would
really cease to care what language Eric is implemented in.

$0.02,
Mike