[Eric] Simplify python 2/3 handling for Eric5

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Fri Apr 20 18:21:53 BST 2012

Am Mittwoch, 18. April 2012, 22:51:36 schrieb Mikhail Terekhov:
> Detlev,
>
> I'd like to propose to remove Python debugger association using extension
> (i.e. *.py2/*.pyw2 or
> *.py3/*.pyw3) in Eric5 and instead use what language is specified in the
> project properties.

Valid point. Actually eric5 applies the project language settings if the file
is a Python file, the project is a Python project and the respective
configuration option is set on the Project page of the config dialog (on by
default). However, that automatism cannot work for individual script, i.e
those not belonging to a project. However, latest eric5 version introduced the
capability to mark a file's programming language with an eflags comment at the
end of the file.

> There
> are some reasons in no particular order:
>
>  * neither *.py2 nor *.py3 is widely used extension for python scripts. I
> may be wrong but I've
>    seen nothing but *.py or *.pyw for either python 2 or 3. BTW Eric5/Eric4
> itself doesn't use these
>    extensions

You are absolutely right.

>  * as a consequence of the above it becomes tedious to change settings over
> and over again
>    depending on what project you are working on

See above. Actually I don't change this setting anymore (which might indicate
it's superfluous).

>  * with regard to the project as a whole using extension for this purpose
> is redundant with regard
>    to project's language setting
>  * if there is a real need to mix different python versions in one project
> then may be it is a good idea
>    to add one more choice in the run/debug script/project dialogs to select
> desired interpreter
>    version for run/debug?
>  * making switch between python 2 and 3 easy in Eric5 would make Eric4
> really obsolete and
>    would eliminate the burden of maintaining it :)

It is easy already. However, as long as Python3 is not yet as widely used as
Python2 I might have the need to maintain both variants :( That said, most of
the new development is done on eric5 with just a few things backported to
eric4.

What does the eric community suggest?

detlev at die-offenbachs.de