[Eric] Simplify python 2/3 handling for Eric5

Mikhail Terekhov termim at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 03:51:36 BST 2012

Detlev,

I'd like to propose to remove Python debugger association using extension
(i.e. *.py2/*.pyw2 or
*.py3/*.pyw3) in Eric5 and instead use what language is specified in the
project properties. There
are some reasons in no particular order:

 * neither *.py2 nor *.py3 is widely used extension for python scripts. I
may be wrong but I've
   seen nothing but *.py or *.pyw for either python 2 or 3. BTW Eric5/Eric4
itself doesn't use these
   extensions
 * as a consequence of the above it becomes tedious to change settings over
and over again
   depending on what project you are working on
 * with regard to the project as a whole using extension for this purpose
is redundant with regard
   to project's language setting
 * if there is a real need to mix different python versions in one project
then may be it is a good idea
   to add one more choice in the run/debug script/project dialogs to select
desired interpreter
   version for run/debug?
 * making switch between python 2 and 3 easy in Eric5 would make Eric4
really obsolete and
   would eliminate the burden of maintaining it :)

Mikhail Terekhov