[Eric] About eric and multi-core usage.

objectref objectref at yahoo.gr
Thu Mar 20 14:11:11 GMT 2008

Hi,

I observed a funny thing and I am just curious about it:
As Eric being written in PyQt, in Python that is, it cannot actually use
more than one processors due to Python GIL and all this story about it.
But when I tried an operation that take some time to complete, I saw both
processors in my dual core laptop being used!

I load Eric on Eric and do a "Code Metrics" operation. This indeed take some
time to complete and in task manager there was activity on both processors.
As far as I know, Eric does not use PP (Parallel Python) or the "processing"
package so to distribute the load to multiple cores. Is this something to do
with the calls to the C++ code of Qt (Qt may actually make better usage of
the cores) ??

(I am using Windows Vista and latest Eric4 snapshot)