[QScintilla] No more license exceptions?

agarny at hellix.com agarny at hellix.com
Fri Mar 11 12:24:23 GMT 2016

>> I have been using QScintilla for a long time and this in an open
>> source project that is released under the Apache v2.0 license. It was
>> fine for me to do so thanks to the license exceptions present in
>> QScintilla.
>>
>> However, I have just noticed that starting from version 2.9, those
>> exceptions are not present anymore. So, unless I missed something,
>> QScintilla is now released under GPL v3.0 and that is it, while up to
>> version 2.8.4, it was released under GPL v2.0/v3.0 + some exceptions
>> that made it fine, for me at least, to use it under the Apache v2.0
>> license.
>>
>> So, have those exceptions gone? In other words, can I still use
>> QScintilla 2.9 and later in my Apache v2.0 project?
>
> The exceptions are gone. I don't know how compatible with the GPL the
> Apache license is.

Thanks for the clarification, Phil, even though this is really bad news
(for me at least).

Indeed, when it comes to compatibility, GPL v3.0 projects can include
Apache v2.0 code, but the reverse is not true (see
http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html).

In other words, by removing those exceptions in QScintilla 2.9 and
later, you made Apache v2.0 projects unable to upgrade their copy of
QScintilla, which I am sure must also apply to quite a few other open
source licences.

Is there any chance you could do something similar to what the Qt
Creator guys have done, i.e. release Qt Creator under GPL v3.0 with a
couple of very simple excetions (see
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-creator.git/tree/LICENSE.GPL3-EXCEPT)?
Failing that, I guess I will have no choice but to revert to QScintilla

Cheers, Alan.