[QScintilla] public svn server?

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue Oct 26 19:20:17 BST 2010

On Tuesday 26 October 2010, 19:08:17 Jared Sutton wrote:
>   Well, I guess I could do that, but the version number of the most
> recent version of QScintilla2 would have to be statically set and
> updated in a separate build script (currently it's just a matter of
> 1. svn co .... 2. qmake 3. make).  If I had an external repo set up,
> I could maintain my current build steps without having to write and
> maintain a separate build script.
>
> So, I wouldn't say that I _need_ an external repo, but it would be
> nice.  Does that make sense?

Much more, BUT how does your scheme handle broken releases,
compatibility issues and what about reproducibility? If you care about
such things and depending on your targeted audience, your build script
will get much more involved!

(Funnily, I'm working on a python script right now, that checks
out/switches to the latest release of some svn repo or trunk, and rolls
tarballs from it ;-). I guess, in shell script that task gets really
ugly, not to speak of sorting issues on determining the latest
release.., e.g. try to sort this list correctly with the shell:
svn list \
http://die-offenbachs.homelinux.org/svn/eric4pluginrepository/Vcs_CVS/tags
)

All in all, it might be a small price to pay to occasionally adjust
version numbers and being able to reproduce the setup at any time.

Hey, I have an idea: setup your own svn server, check in the released
and snapshot tarballs, and build from there ;-).

Maybe Phil has pity with you some day. But then it's gonna be a
mercurial repo, if I interpret the snapshot revisions correctly..

Pete