[QScintilla] Problem with calltips of last QScintilla2 snapshot

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Tue Apr 10 16:01:54 BST 2007

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 3:36 pm, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Dienstag, 10. April 2007, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 April 2007 2:53 pm, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > calltips seem to not work like expected. On the first use of a method,
> > > I receive a calltip. On the second, I don't. Type the following into a
> > > QScintilla editor (e.g. in eric4)
> > >
> > > from PyQt4.QtCore import QString
> > >
> > > x = QString()
> > > x.append(
> > >
> > > Calltips show up.
> >
> > I don't see how.
>
> I used auto-completion to enter 'append'.
>
> > > Complete it by typing
> > >
> > > "a")
> > > x.append(
> > >
> > > At this point, no calltips are displayed.
> >
> > At the moment call tips can only be displayed after auto-completion has
> > been used to identify the correct function/method.
>
> That means, I have to use the correct 'append' entry from autocompletion
> first (e.g. for QString) in order to get the correct calltips. If I select
> the wrong one (actually for me 'append' is 'append' no matter where the
> auto-completion comes from), I get calltips for the wrong type, which isn't
> shown in the calltips list. I think, this behavior is more confusing than
> help.

If there is more than one API entry for append then each will be shown in the
list with additional context information for you to realise which is which.
Auto-completion and call tips only work effectively if QScintilla knows (ie.
is told by the user) the relevant API entries it is supposed to be looking
at.

> > I could change it so that if this isn't the case then the call tips for
> > all functions/methods called "append" are offered. This might be rather a
> > lot if the method was "__init__".
> >
> > Phil
>
> I agree, this list could be long. How did calltips work in QScintilla1?

It just used "append" and offered the call tips for every function/method in
the API files with that name. Like I said I could change it to revert to that
behaviour if it doesn't have any other information available to allow it to
be more selective.