Another issue with pylupdate6

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat May 29 13:25:22 BST 2021

Hello Phil,

I observed another issue with pylupdate6. It uses the system eol
character(s) when writing the .ts file. This causes issues if you
develop on different platforms (e.g. Linux and Windows) and use a
version control system. When you re-generate a .ts file on a different
platform, the VCS will see the whole file as changed because of
different eols (e.g. \n versus \r\n) even if the contents remained the
same. This is not good. Therefore I suggest that either no eol
conversion is done (i.e. a \n is passed to the open() function) or a
command line option is introduced to explicitly specify the eol sequence
(e.g. --eol=\n or a more command line friendly form --eol=LF,
--eol=CRLF, --eol=CR).

I don't know how pylupdate5 did it but I didn't observe the issue there
(maybe I didn't generate .ts files of multiple platforms at all).

Detlev

--
Detlev Offenbach
detlev at die-offenbachs.de