[PyQt] PyQT5: Unable to render videos

Rob Shelley rob at pixelinspiration.net
Fri Mar 16 15:04:27 GMT 2018

Hi,

I'm just starting to look at PyQT, running QT 5.10.1 on Win 7 Pro SP1. I've been working through some basic tutorials but I'm wanting to be able to display video, none of the examples I've tried so far have worked. After doing a bit of googling I can't say I've turned up much. This post suggested a video codec issue:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42801979/error-using-qmediaplayer-with-pyqt5-on-windows

I've installed the full K-Lite codec pack but that hasn't resolved the issue. The test files I'm using (mp4, wmv, webm) all run in VLC, Windows Media Player and Chrome without issue.

Using the example in the above stackoverflow post if I set local = QUrl('http://clips.vorwaerts-gmbh.de/big_buck_bunny.mp4') then I can hear the video's audio track so something's roughly working.

I've tried the three examples here:

https://github.com/baoboa/pyqt5/tree/master/examples/multimediawidgets

All of them error:

player.py
DirectShowPlayerService::doRender: Unresolved error code 0x80040200 (Unknown error 0x80040200)

videographicsitem.py and videowidget.py
DirectShowPlayerService::doRender: Unresolved error code 0x80040218 (IDispatch error #24)

Looking at:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-51692
Suggests codec issues again that can possibly resolved by changing something when compiling a QT app but I've no idea if that's relatable to PyQT.

Any advice is very welcome.

Cheers,
Rob