[PyQt] "This Windows version does not support the required Bluetooth API"

Jones, Bryan bjones at ece.msstate.edu
Thu Jul 26 23:30:36 BST 2018

Kyle,

I struggled with this also. My comments on a fix:

# The Qt Bluetooth API (which any import to ``PyQt5.Qt`` implicitly imports)

# isn't compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2, the OS Appveyor runs.

# Specifically, running on Server 2012 causes the test to display an error
in

# `a dialog box <
https://github.com/mindfulness-at-the-computer/mindfulness-at-the-computer/issues/234
>`_.

# The alternative of using a newer Appveyor OS `fails <
https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/pull/3563>`_.

# Therefore, skip this test on Appveyor by testing for one of its
`environment

# variables <https://www.appveyor.com/docs/environment-variables/>`_.

@skipif(os.environ.get('APPVEYOR') == 'True',

reason='The Appveyor OS is incompatible with PyQt.Qt.')

Hope that helps!

Bryan

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 4:37 PM Kyle Altendorf <sda at fstab.net> wrote:

> My tests on AppVeyor recently started failing.  When I logged in I found
> a dialog saying:
>
>    This Windows version (6.3.9600) does not support
>    the required Bluetooth API.  Consider updating
>    to a more recent Windows (10.0.10586 or above).
>
> I am not intentionally using Bluetooth.  I found a few reports of it
> around the web.
>

> https://shadowllife.wordpress.com/2018/05/05/how-to-fix-this-windows-version-does-not-support-the-required-bluetooth-api/
>

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48514027/spyder3-python-ide-does-not-start-this-windows-version-does-not-support-the-re
>

> https://github.com/mindfulness-at-the-computer/mindfulness-at-the-computer/issues/234
>
> https://github.com/winpython/winpython/issues/592
>
> Per these reports it seems to relate to PyQt5 >= 5.10 and Windows <=
> 8.1.
>
> I am trying to figure out the trigger since a running QApplication with
> a QMainWindow is not sufficient to cause the dialog.  I'll share
> whatever more info I can collect but figured I'd check here in case the
> issue is already known, or maybe even intentional dropping of support
> for older Windows versions or somesuch.
>
> Cheers,
> -kyle

Bryan A. Jones, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
231 Simrall / PO Box 9571
Mississippi State University
Mississippi State, MS 39762
http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~bjones
bjones AT ece DOT msstate DOT edu
voice 662-325-3149
fax 662-325-2298

Our Master, Jesus Christ, is on his way. He'll show up right on
time, his arrival guaranteed by the Blessed and Undisputed Ruler,
High King, High God.
- 1 Tim. 6:14b-15 (The Message)