[PyQt] "This Windows version does not support the required Bluetooth API"

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Thu Jul 26 22:36:36 BST 2018

My tests on AppVeyor recently started failing.  When I logged in I found
a dialog saying:

   This Windows version (6.3.9600) does not support
   the required Bluetooth API.  Consider updating
   to a more recent Windows (10.0.10586 or above).

I am not intentionally using Bluetooth.  I found a few reports of it
around the web.

https://shadowllife.wordpress.com/2018/05/05/how-to-fix-this-windows-version-does-not-support-the-required-bluetooth-api/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48514027/spyder3-python-ide-does-not-start-this-windows-version-does-not-support-the-re

https://github.com/mindfulness-at-the-computer/mindfulness-at-the-computer/issues/234

https://github.com/winpython/winpython/issues/592

Per these reports it seems to relate to PyQt5 >= 5.10 and Windows <=
8.1.

I am trying to figure out the trigger since a running QApplication with
a QMainWindow is not sufficient to cause the dialog.  I'll share
whatever more info I can collect but figured I'd check here in case the
issue is already known, or maybe even intentional dropping of support
for older Windows versions or somesuch.

Cheers,
-kyle