[PyQt] Question about pyqtlicense tool

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 20:55:46 BST 2018

>>> Most organisations would license the commercial wheel and pip install it from an internal server.
>>
>> Right, I was just curious if it would be possible to take it from
>> PyPI, and then embed the license into that, as it would make things
>> slightly simpler. We currently do not have a PyPI server. I know it's
>> very simple to set one up, but it would be great if we could install
>> PyQt the same way we do all our other dependencies (we use
>> pip-compile/pip-sync from pip-tools to maintain our requirement.txt
>> files). Is there something that prevents this (install wheel first,
>> license afterwards), provided we're going to use Qt under LGPL?
>
> Only that it requires extra development.

Sorry to bring up this old thread again, but we've now gotten our
commercial license.

I've created our commercially licensed wheel by embedding our license
and an LGPL Qt into it using the pyqtlicense, and put that on our own
internal package index server.

However, I would still like to ask again if it's in any way possible
for us to instead use the PyQt wheel straight from PyPI instead, since
that would simplify things.

What is it that the pyqtlicense tool actually does with the license
file? Does it simply copy it into the wheel? Could we do this after
the PyPI wheel was installed, as part of our deployment?

It would simplify things a lot if we didn't have to do this chore of
creating our own specific wheel and having a package index server with
just a single wheel in it, and instead could just use PyPI like we do
with our other deps.

Thanks in advance,
Elvis