[PyQt] Fedora 25 & 26 PyQt5 segfaults on exit

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Thu Jul 13 09:18:00 BST 2017

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 02:56:29PM -0500, Damon Lynch wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>
> > Damon Lynch wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is anyone else having their python3 / PyQt5 application crash on exit
> > > every time when run with Fedora 25 and 26's version of PyQt5?
> >
> > I cannot reproduce what you describe on f25, but I'd welcome a bugreport
> > with backtraces (if possible) anyway @ bugzilla.redhat.com
> >
> > I'm testing in a kde plasma environment, if that matters... I know there
> > have been issues elsewhere in the past due to different platform plugins
> > used, qgnomeplatform in particular
> >

> Hi Rex and Barry,
>
> This particular instance stands out because it happens every time the
> program runs with the Fedora PyQt5 package, and never with the Pypi PyQt5,
> which is not something I've seen before. This makes it a bit different from
> cases where it might happen occasionally because (for example) a widget was
> not given a parent, leading to potential problems during application close.
> I do believe this latter case is what you're referring to Barry.
>
> What do I need to do to generate an bug report that will actually be usable
> to the Fedora PyQt maintainer? Do I need to install debug packages and run
> some kind of debugging tool? It's been a couple of decades since I coded in
> C/C++ so my knowledge of these tools is extremely limited.

Yes, you'd need to get a C++ stacktrace via gdb. I have this documented
here for my project:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/stacktrace.asciidoc

I don't know whether Fedora has debugging packages though, and
unfortunately at least for me, stacktraces of segfaults on exit usually
weren't very useful. But it's worth a try. Please share it here too, I'm
curious :)

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org  | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)