[PyQt] Fedora 25 & 26 PyQt5 segfaults on exit

Damon Lynch damonlynch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 20:56:29 BST 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> Damon Lynch wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is anyone else having their python3 / PyQt5 application crash on exit
> > every time when run with Fedora 25 and 26's version of PyQt5?
>
> I cannot reproduce what you describe on f25, but I'd welcome a bugreport
> with backtraces (if possible) anyway @ bugzilla.redhat.com
>
> I'm testing in a kde plasma environment, if that matters... I know there
> have been issues elsewhere in the past due to different platform plugins
> used, qgnomeplatform in particular

Hi Rex and Barry,

This particular instance stands out because it happens every time the
program runs with the Fedora PyQt5 package, and never with the Pypi PyQt5,
which is not something I've seen before. This makes it a bit different from
cases where it might happen occasionally because (for example) a widget was
not given a parent, leading to potential problems during application close.
I do believe this latter case is what you're referring to Barry.

What do I need to do to generate an bug report that will actually be usable
to the Fedora PyQt maintainer? Do I need to install debug packages and run
some kind of debugging tool? It's been a couple of decades since I coded in
C/C++ so my knowledge of these tools is extremely limited.

Thanks!

Damon
--
http://www.damonlynch.net