[PyQt] PyQt5 + AppImage

Damon Lynch damonlynch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 04:18:14 BST 2017

Hello,

When distributed as an AppImage, a PyQt5 application's appearance changes
depending on which Linux distribution it's being run in -- and not in a
good way. Two things I've noted with respect to the default font, which
varies from distro to distro:

   1. The font may not be aliased.
   2. The font may be a serif font, instead of sans serif.

I've observed this with PyPi version from last week. I haven't had a chance
to see if it's any different with the very recent release.

I assume the solution to this problem is for the application to check for
an environment variable set by the AppImage, and then if set, at
application startup manipulate the application's default font settings.
I've not tried that before but hopefully it's not too difficult. Does this
sound about right?

Thanks.

Damon
--