[PyQt] Learning Qt5 designer

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 12 14:45:07 GMT 2017

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017, Sibylle Koczian wrote:

> In your first mail in this thread you mentioned "the old (2007) Qt4 book".
> Is that "Rapid GUI programming with Python and Qt" by Mark Summerfield? If
> yes, chapter 7, "Using Qt Designer" should still work with the Qt5
> designer. Doesn't it answer your questions?

Sibylle,

   Yes, that is the book. Where it appears to not answer my questions is the
list of sequential steps on page 209. I've tried following those steps but
have not obtained the expected results. Perhaps due to my infamiliarity of
PyQt5.

> One small warning about this chapter: converting the .ui files to Python
> code is no longer necessary. The book only knows this technique and
> doesn't explain how to load them at runtime. For that you need the
> documentation on the Riverbank pages.

   That's good to know, but I'm far from this step now. I need to develop the
UI then set all the signals; learning one piece at a time.

Thanks,

Rich