[PyQt] Attempting to reduce the memory footprint of my PyQt5 application

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:41:39 BST 2016

Den 15 sep. 2016 6:49 fm skrev "Xavion" <xavion.0 at gmail.com>:

>> Use subprocess? Simpler code and no leaks.
>>
>> subprocess.check_output([command] + args)
>

> I had a feeling someone would tell me to do that :-).
>
> Believe it or not, the same problem happens with the 'subprocess'
module.  As such, I have just opened a ticket on the Python bug tracker.

> I guess this news pretty much gets Qt and PyQt off the hook.  I'm sure
you guys are pleased about that :-).

You mentioned you're spawning a thread, which in turn spawn your process
(may I ask why the threading?). QProcess is designed to be used async on
top of the Qt event loop.

Are you sure that everything related to the thread is destroyed properly?

Another tip is to run the app for 15 seconds under valgrind to see where
your leak is.

Elvis