[PyQt] dev env for PyQt 5.7

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Thu Sep 8 11:52:48 BST 2016

On September 8, 2016 12:30:51 AM EDT, oliver <oliver.schoenborn at gmail.com> wrote:
>What is the pyqt5.dll plugin for?

It allows you to use custom Python widgets in Designer.

http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/PyQt5/designer.html#writing-qt-designer-plugins

>Another useful "tool" missing when wheel + qt binary install used is
>the
>PyQt5 examples, they use to be part of the binary dist prior to 5.7.

In a prior thread Phil explained that he intends the 'pyqt5' wheels to be depended on by application packages.  They are not there to provide a development environment.  Since many of us developers would still like easy (and smaller than full Qt) access to the tools I am slowly putting together the 'pyqt5-tools' wheels.

While several of us were surprised like you to find designer missing I think the separate wheels do make sense once their purposes are explained.

Cheers,
-kyle