[PyQt] PYQt and C++ documentation

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Fri Dec 16 22:36:47 GMT 2016

On 16/12/16 19:15, Simon, Stuart A. wrote:
> Hello: My name is Stuart Simon. I am new to PyQt and want to point
> out something I don't quite understand about the documentation. A lot
> of it is merely cross-linked to C++ documentation. What is not clear
> to me is if PyQt generally implements the same properties, methods,
> and classes as C++ Qt, or if the documentation is very incomplete. If
> the plan is to document only what is different from C++, then that
> needs to be stated clearly in the documentation.

I assume you must be referring to the PyQt5 docs. The situation is much
clearer for the PyQt4 docs, because it has a more or less complete class
reference:

     http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/PyQt4/classes.html

Although this mostly reproduces what is in the Qt docs, its one major
advantage over the PyQt5 docs is that it provides proper Python
signatures for nearly everything. In addition, it removes most of the
stuff that's specific to the C++ APIs - so it should correspond pretty
well with what you can discover by experimenting in a Python interpreter
session. It must be said though, that it's by no means perfect (which is
hardly surprising, given that it's probably all  generated automatically).

I mostly agree with what others have said about learning to work with
the Qt docs (which are generally excellent, even for those don't know
C++ very well). But I still think that PyQt should provide a complete
Python-specific API Reference if it can. All that's needed is something
very much like the current PyQt4 Class Reference, only without all the
redundant explanatory material (links to the current Qt docs would
actually work much better). This would make the task of translating
between the two APIs a great deal easier - a PyQt Rosetta Stone, if you
like. Maybe this is something that the type-hinting support will
eventually make possible?

--
Regards
Baz Walter