[PyQt] PYQt and C++ documentation

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Dec 16 21:13:29 GMT 2016

Hi Stuart,

On Freitag, 16. Dezember 2016 19:15:58 Simon, Stuart A. wrote:
> Hello:
> My name is Stuart Simon. I am new to PyQt and want to point out something I
> don't quite understand about the documentation. A lot of it is merely
> cross-linked to C++ documentation. What is not clear to me is if PyQt
> generally implements the same properties, methods, and classes as C++ Qt,
> or if the documentation is very incomplete. If the plan is to document only
> what is different from C++, then that needs to be stated clearly in the
> documentation.

Just ask yourself a single question: If the job of adjusting the Qt C++
documentation to PyQt would be assigned to you, how would you realize this?

While the code base is supported with the help of automation, the docs cannot
(well, at least they are not yet). Don't forget, that this is also a rather
big *moving* target, human resources are limited, and documentation tend not
to be *that* formally structured like code usually is...

Then there's also the job of keep this projects code base in sync with Qt++ 4
and 5 (while Qt3 is still kept going).

The whole project is complex endeavour, and just providing the latter
paragraph takes a whole genius. We're a little short with other such geniuses
here. May be, you're the next to help on this? What would be your choice -
code or documentation?

If you stay, be assured, it's a great adventure, you will never be short in
classes and possibilities any more, but you're going to pay a price: learn to
use the original documentation. Just ignore all this C++ cruft. If you see C++
address operators in parameter lists, expect them to be returned as tuples,
together with the return value..

Pete