[PyQt] Responsive thead in preview mode in Qt Designer

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sat Aug 13 00:12:48 BST 2016

On Thursday 11. August 2016, Lais P. Carmo wrote:
> Hi, David. Thank you so much for you response.
>
> I took a look on the AnalogClock example. It is very simple and helped me
> understanding some useful concepts, but the custom label remains fronzen
> inside QtDesigner.

I noticed that you are using PyQt5 for your widget. I've only really worked
with Qt Designer under Qt 4. Maybe something is different in the way Designer
works when using Qt 5.

[...]

> Now I have another question: besides the widgets plugins, is it possible to
> make customized plugins for Designer that add functionalities to it (e.g.:
> an option to generate an application and run it as I am going to do)?
>
> There are many classes for plugins in QtDesigner module of PyQt5, but not
> sure if they can do it and how.

There is a library of components (libQt5DesignerComponents) that could be
wrapped to create a Python module. During Qt 4 development, I tried to do the
same for the equivalent Qt 4 library but wasn't sure how all the classes were
meant to be used. I think many of them were intended to be internal to
Designer and not reusable by plugins. Perhaps it just needs someone new to
come along and try again. :-)

David