[PyQt] segfault creating an empty QGraphicsScene

Russell Warren russ at perspexis.com
Fri Sep 18 15:49:13 BST 2015

I'm creating a QGraphicsScene with the intent to render to a
QQuickPaintedItem and I'm having segfault issues.

I've stripped the problem down to a very small script pair and attached
them.  Note that the QGraphicsScene.render() call is not even present since
it didn't have anything to do with the segfault.

The segfault happens on the creation of the QGraphicsScene.  Remove the
line and the (bogus) application works.

fwiw, even when you remove the line and it works, this program segfaults on
me when I close the window.  I don't know why.  Also fwiw, at some point I
did have similar code working and the QGraphicsScene was rendering properly
to the QQuickPaintedItem.  I'm not sure what the difference is.

My environment is Qt5.5.0 and PyQt 5.5,  Running on Debian 7.8 (wheezy)
64-bit.  This was also happening to me on Qt 5.4.1 and I upgraded in hopes
of the problem disappearing.  It has also been confirmed to fail on Windows.

Am I doing something wrong that is causing the segfaults, or is this a
Qt/PyQt bug?

Thanks,
Russ