[PyQt] PySide 2

newellm at blur.com newellm at blur.com
Sun Aug 16 17:49:22 BST 2015

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 02:30:18 PM Marcus Ottosson wrote:
> > Would those be the same volunteers that have been rounding up for PySide
>
> over the last six years or so?
>
> I can see why you might ask that, I was sceptical at first too. But there's
> an initiative beyond Qt [1] behind this effort, and with it I think a new
> audience will appear in favour of advancing the state of PySide. I think
> this same audience would apply equally well to PyQt, if PyQt were to be
> community-driven.
>
> > Are you worried that they won't go the distance with respect to funding
>
> PySide development, or that any development will be too tightly linked to
> their own needs?
>
> That's not it, I'm sure they'll go the distance as they are looking to
> build their own software upon it and in this case me and Autodesk share
> needs.
>
> It was more a shout out to Phil that his efforts have been incredibly
> robust, up to date and responsive.
>
> [1]: http://www.vfxplatform.com/

I attended the vfx platform meeting at Sigraph last week and raised the
question of whether or not licensing was an issue preventing the usage of
PyQt, and was told that it was not licensing.  I have no idea why anyone would
choose to base their product to ship in less than a year on a PySide port that
doesn't even exist yet, when PyQt has such a long history of stability and
very quick turn around when bugs are discovered.

Autodesk in my experience does not make wise technical decisions, and does not
seem to take their users into account.  I have done the bulk of the work
maintaining the Py3dsMax plugin that exposes 3dsmax's api to python, which we
released as GPL, and was being used by other studios, and Autodesk in their
infinite wisdom chose to develop their own inferior solution.

Recent versions of maya are shipping linked to 3 separate copies of Qt...

Matt