[PyQt] QtQuick documentation for PyQt5?

Jens Persson xerxes2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 18:00:30 GMT 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Gour <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 19:00:34 +0100
> Jens Persson <xerxes2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dunno if I'm hardcore but yeah, PyQt runs very well on the Jolla
> > phone. It's not offficially supported by Jolla, basically nothing is,
> > but it's easy enough to publish apps on openrepos.net.
>
> I must say I'm fed up with Droid-based phones, don't like Apple and
> wonder which OS to look for: Sailfish, Firefox OS, Ubuntu phone.
>
> Otoh, considering to use pyqt for multi-platform app, but it would be
> nice to have 'light' version of the app for the phone, so just wonder
> how are you satisfied with the phone in general?
>
> Ability to use pyqt is killer-feature, I must admit. ;)

Well, the hardware is pretty solid, better than expected for a no-name
chinese copy-cat factory. :). It costs EURO 400 but I do think you pay a EURO 100
Jolla support fee for that price. I traded mine for an old N950 I had in
the closet at the first day it was released in Finland. :) The back plastic
cover is totally removable and you got a user removable battery and sd-card
slot under it. You manage a day with pretty heavy usage so battery time is
ok. The Sailfish software basically is Fedora/Suse mobile with Wayland/Qt5
on the top so the base is pretty good. It's Qt-5.1 for now but Qt-5.2 is
promised later this year. The Sailfish UX is also pretty good/beutiful and
the main bugs have been fixed already.

But ... feature wise you can consider it alpha quality. Camera software is
really bad (I'm no camera guru so don't quote me on that one), no MMS or 4g
(hardware supports 4g though, already hacked by community), Browser and
Maps are also very basic, no *Dav and so forth. It's still on
gstreamer-0.10 so multimedia is a bit shaky, gstreamer-1 is promised later
this year though. Not many native apps obviously but Android support exists
but I refuse to use it. I'd rather write and support native app
development. If you're a smartphone power-user you might wanna stick to
Android for now but if you're interested in being there from the beginning
and don't mind waiting for apps and features to arrive sure the jphone
could possibly already work as your primary phone. Updates are rolling in
almost on a daily basis and it's closing in to be called beta very soon if
they keep this development speed up. And as mentioned earlier, PyQt runs
just as good as on a regular desktop linux distro. :)

Greets Jens