[PyQt] Segfault with QDesktopServices.openUrl

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri Aug 29 08:28:25 BST 2014

Hi,

* Kovid Goyal <kovid at kovidgoyal.net> [2014-08-21 08:28:48 +0530]:
> https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/commit/796cba4b6996d2047f203ce0a0ef0637b10b33ec

Thanks! I really didn't realize that was the issue. Works just fine
with a QApplication.

* Kovid Goyal <kovid at kovidgoyal.net> [2014-08-21 20:49:59 +0530]:
> > > Not to mention that in most other places where you try to use
> > > functionality from Qt that requires QApplication, you get a clean erorr
> > > message and a call to _exit(), not a segfault.
> >
> > Please file a bug against Qt for this. At the very least, openUrl() should
> > check that a platform integration instance exists before checking for its
> > services.
>
> I have half a dozen bug reports filed for Qt 5 regressions, most of
> which have been ignored for months, I'd rather not spend the time on any
> more, for issues that I can workaround easily, but feel free to file one
> yourself, if this issue affects you.

I'll report a bug somewhen the next days when I get the time.

Also, in my experience it's a really good idea to report QtWebKit
bugs, those get handled and fixed very fast. Other stuff often gets
ignored indeed...

Florian

             GPG 0xFD55A072 | http://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc