[PyQt] Segfault with QDesktopServices.openUrl

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Thu Aug 21 23:02:10 BST 2014

On Thu Aug 21 16:19:59 BST 2014, Kovid Goyal wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 01:42:02PM +0000, David Boddie wrote:
> > There's some code in openUrl() that expects to find a platform integration
> > instance to use, which I believe only exists if you create a QApplication
> > instance first:
>
> Oh I know that the code as is *requires* QApplication. My point was that
> it doesn't actually *need* QApplication. The dependency on QApplication is
> a (probably) unintended side effect of the move to the QPA architecture.

Sure, but there's no going back now. Have you considered using a pure Python
alternative, such as the desktop module?

  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/desktop

[...]

> I have half a dozen bug reports filed for Qt 5 regressions, most of
> which have been ignored for months, I'd rather not spend the time on any
> more, for issues that I can workaround easily, but feel free to file one
> yourself, if this issue affects you.

I may do that tomorrow, if I remember. I have a Qt 4 printing patch in the
queue that will probably never get applied, but Qt 5 patches might have a
better chance of making it through the code review stage.

David