[PyQt] SIP example code issue with python 3.3

Christoff Kok christoff.kok at ex-mente.co.za
Wed Apr 30 16:09:31 BST 2014

Hi,

I apologize if I am using the mailing system wrong, please correct me if I
do. 1st time user of such a channel.

I trying to learn SIP and came across an issue when trying to implement the
example code given in the documentation.
/////////////////////////////////
%Module word
%TypeHeaderCode
#include "word.h"
#include <string.h>
%End

public:
    Word(const char *w);
    char *reverse() const;
};
/////////////////////////////////

After successfully running the deploying it in python, I tried to create a
Word variable: e.g.

>>> from word import Word
>>> w = Word("cheese snacks")
*# python throws an error here:*
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: Word(): arguments did not match any overloaded call:
  overload 1: too many arguments
  overload 2: argument 1 has unexpected type 'str'
*# help(Word) informs me that Word is expecting a sip.wrapper object, not a
string as I expected*
>>> help(Word)
Help on class Word in module word:

class Word(sip.wrapper)

This was not expected, I expected it to just work as the example given. Any
help? I am working on Windows 7 in python 3.3.4
I tried including MappedType char * but received the error: "Invalid type
for %MappedType"

Kind Regards,
Christoff

--