[PyQt] PyQt4 question about type-to-select in numeric drop-down lists

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Thu Aug 29 21:40:16 BST 2013

On Thursday 29. August 2013, Sarah Mount wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM, David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> > No, I think it's a bug in Qt, and probably in QAbstractItemView because
> > that's what is providing the underlying list logic in the drop-down menu.
> > The behaviour seems to be that the string used to search the data is
> > checked
> > to see if it is simply the same first character repeated throughout the
> > string (e.g., "aaa" or "333") and handled specially. This seems to
> > completely
> > break the regular behaviour: if you try "77", it won't work, but "776"
> > will cause it to navigate to the correct item.
>
> That makes sense. Is there an issue tracker I can submit this to?

https://bugreports.qt-project.org is the one you want. It might be the case
that the bug already exists in there, but finding it might be more of a
challenge than just reporting it again.

It's probably useful to place a link in your report back to the archives of
this thread, possibly to your first message:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2013-August/033155.html

> I think in reality it is not a huge issue for users, although it's not
> ideal. I would guess that most integer input is probably not appropriately
> done with drop-downs!

Perhaps not, but changing the user interface now might confuse existing
users, unless they are already confused, in which case changing to a QSpinBox
might be a welcome change.

All the best,

David