[PyQt] PyQt4 and Qt5

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue Sep 4 10:18:36 BST 2012

On Tuesday 04 September 2012, 09:30:06 Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:44:08 +0200, Detlev Offenbach
>
> <detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to know the plan about the PyQt support for Qt 5.0 because

> > would like to start to make eric5 compatible with Qt 5 as soon as
>
> possible
>
> > (if
> > that is possible). In order for that, I would need support for these
> > modules.
> >
> > PyQt4.QtCore
> > PyQt4.QtGui
> > PyQt4.QtNetwork
> > PyQt4.QtWebKit
> > PyQt4.QtHelp
> > PyQt4.QtSql
> > PyQt4.QtSvg
> > PyQt4.uic
> >
> > Regards,
> > Detlev
>
> The plan is that PyQt4 will build against Qt5. v4.9.4 will build against
> Qt5-alpha (QtCore and QtGui modules only). I am currently working on
> updating to Qt5-beta1. The Qt4 and Qt5 APIs are very similar, but not
> identical.

Do you have a list of differences at hand? Such a list could ease building an
application, that works under Qt5 and Qt4 (maybe by having some kind of
portability layer).

> It's theoretically possible that an application will not need
> any changes. Once QtCore and QtGui build again I'll move on to the other
> modules.

That is really good news.

> QScintilla already supports Qt5.

I knew about that and it compiled already. It was an issue I had with PyQt4
4.9.4 with Qt5-beta1, but that's probably because PyQt4 is not yet adjusted
(it didn't catch the QtGui stuff).

> There will also be a PyQt5, but probably not until after the final release
> of Qt5. This will support the new features of Qt5, drop all deprecated
> parts of the Qt API, drop the QString, QVariant v1 APIs etc.
>
> So I would hope that you will be able to run eric under Qt5 sooner rather
> than later.
>
> Phil
Detlev Offenbach
detlev at die-offenbachs.de