[PyQt] PyQt4 and Qt5

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Tue Sep 4 09:30:06 BST 2012

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:44:08 +0200, Detlev Offenbach
<detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know the plan about the PyQt support for Qt 5.0 because
> would like to start to make eric5 compatible with Qt 5 as soon as
possible
> (if
> that is possible). In order for that, I would need support for these
> modules.
>
> PyQt4.QtCore
> PyQt4.QtGui
> PyQt4.QtNetwork
> PyQt4.QtWebKit
> PyQt4.QtHelp
> PyQt4.QtSql
> PyQt4.QtSvg
> PyQt4.uic
>
> Regards,
> Detlev

The plan is that PyQt4 will build against Qt5. v4.9.4 will build against
Qt5-alpha (QtCore and QtGui modules only). I am currently working on
updating to Qt5-beta1. The Qt4 and Qt5 APIs are very similar, but not
identical. It's theoretically possible that an application will not need
any changes. Once QtCore and QtGui build again I'll move on to the other
modules.

QScintilla already supports Qt5.

There will also be a PyQt5, but probably not until after the final release
of Qt5. This will support the new features of Qt5, drop all deprecated
parts of the Qt API, drop the QString, QVariant v1 APIs etc.

So I would hope that you will be able to run eric under Qt5 sooner rather
than later.