[PyQt] Designer source

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Mar 8 22:08:09 GMT 2012

On 08.03.12 19:42:39, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 8. März 2012, 09:49:41 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > Write Maya in C++ ;P
> >
> > Hmm, on a more serious note, you won't get around writing C++. AFAIK the
> > public API of the QtDesigner library (and hence also the PyQt module)
> > does not include the necessary functions to actually create a designer
> > yourself. One needs to use one or two private headers from QtDesigner
> > for the necessary functions. You could of course simply wrap that
> > private API in a simple class and expose that via sip to Python and then
> > do all the rest in Python.
>
> If somebody would do that and maintain it over time I would be the first to
> use to integrate Designer into the eric IDE.

Its not an easy task though, we had something somewhat-working for
KDevelop4 in a plugin, but it did require some nasty hacks and
workarounds the designer API. Its simply not really meant to be added to
"arbitrary" IDE's, but mainly geared towards the designer standalone
app.

Note, I'm basing that information on Qt4.5/4.6, i.e. a point in time
where QtCreator was still in its early stages. Maybe in more recent
Qt versions this got improved to provide better integration for
QtCreator.

Andreas