[PyQt] QSystemTrayIcon - can you change the size/aspect?

Brian Knudson briank at pipelinefx.com
Mon Jul 9 19:05:15 BST 2012

On Jul 9, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Glenn Linderman wrote:

> On 7/9/2012 10:43 AM, Brian Knudson wrote:
>> As an example, I'm looking at Adobe updater's system tray icon.  It has the Adobe logo & a number next to it that denotes the number of updates available.  In order to do this, the icon is wider than it is tall.
>>
>> screen shot: http://churchofbk.com/misc/tray_icon.png
>>
>> I would love to be able to do this with one of my apps, as the whole point of the app is to make a certain number of cores available to some other process - so it becomes much more usable as a tray icon if it shows the number of available cores at any one time.
>>
>> With that, can the size/geometry of a QSystemTrayIcon be changed so that it isn't square?  If I try to give it a non-square image, it gets scaled while maintaining aspect ratio until it fits in a 16x16 or 22x22 box.
>
> Are you sure that Adobe isn't using two adjacent system tray icons? That was my first impression when I looked at your screen shot. But your screen shot doesn't look like a Windows system tray, is it Linux or something? I didn't even know anything but Windows had system trays...

It's OS X.  I don't believe it's called a "System tray" in OS X, but as far as Qt is concerned, it's the area where QSystemTrayIcons go.

I had initially thought that it was 2 icons as well, but that doesn't *appear* to be the case - the whole thing highlights on click & the menu always appears in the same place, regardless of where I click.  I suppose there could be quite a bit of trickery at play here, but I wanted to ask before I started investigating if it's worth trying to use two icons & make them appear as one.

-Brian