[PyQt] QSystemTrayIcon - can you change the size/aspect?

Brian Knudson briank at pipelinefx.com
Mon Jul 9 18:43:11 BST 2012

As an example, I'm looking at Adobe updater's system tray icon.  It has the Adobe logo & a number next to it that denotes the number of updates available.  In order to do this, the icon is wider than it is tall.

screen shot: http://churchofbk.com/misc/tray_icon.png

I would love to be able to do this with one of my apps, as the whole point of the app is to make a certain number of cores available to some other process - so it becomes much more usable as a tray icon if it shows the number of available cores at any one time.

With that, can the size/geometry of a QSystemTrayIcon be changed so that it isn't square?  If I try to give it a non-square image, it gets scaled while maintaining aspect ratio until it fits in a 16x16 or 22x22 box.

Thanks,
-Brian